I have a new fully functioning Toshiba Satellite notebook which came with preinstalled OEM Windows XP Pro OS. But as you well know all good things don't last forever and someday I may need to repair or replace a corrupt or missing OS file. So....... Toshiba provided 3 CD's that are labeled "Recovery and Applications". There is no separate XP Pro installation CD. When Disk One is inserted and starts, the opening menu gives only 2 choices: 1) a list of apps and programs for reinstallation and 2)reinstall the original OS (XP Pro)and a note the "ALL FILES WILL BE DELETED". The disk will be reformatted!! There is no choice of simply repairing or reinstalling XP Pro. Toshiba tech support told me to restart the computer while holding down the "c" key with Recovery Disk One loaded in the CD drive. This brings up a similar reinstall menu in a black DOS-like screen with the same warning that "ALL DATA WILL BE DELETED". Am I missing something here? Do I have to format my hard drive just to repair or reinstall an XP Pro OS file? That's ridiculous.
1. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro lbyard Aug-07-02 00:42 AM In response to message 0
Look for an i386 directory/folder on the hard disk. Larry
2. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro Flamingo Aug-07-02 01:41 AM In response to message 1
Larry.... I found it and it contains a huge number of compressed files of the type *.*_ which means I have to do a file extraction if I know which file I need. There is a "setup.ex_" file in the main i386 folder but even this needs extraction. So what's the next step?
3. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro lbyard Aug-07-02 11:12 AM In response to message 2
4. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro Flamingo Aug-08-02 11:13 AM In response to message 3
Thanks for the clue. I dug a little deeper into the Toshiba OEM XP Pro reinstallation procedure and find that not all Toshiba OEM products are equal. In fact the "HELP" menu on Disk #1 states that not all OEM OS reinstallation CD's allow repair/reinstallation of just the OS and in fact my product does not give me this option. I must reformat Drive C:, losing ALL files, just to reinstall the XP Pro OS. What's going on here? Some sort of agreement between Microsoft and Toshiba which would push me towards buying XP Pro as a stand alone product? Or do they think the end user is too dumb to know how to reinstall/repair the OS?
6. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro lbyard Aug-08-02 03:39 PM In response to message 4
You are asking the questions to the wrong parties. I don't like it either. There is not much any of us can do about it except investigate and not purchase products that do this to the customer. The fault then lies with the manufacturers and customers that purchase these products (products that are designed around the idea that the "the customer is an idiot"). I am neither. As all Dux Computer Digest Forum regulars are computer wise, they shouldn't be either. Larry
7. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro lbyard Aug-08-02 06:59 PM In response to message 4
In case the clue did not fully register... you might be able to run winnt.exe in the i386 directory on the hard disk. Larry
8. RE: Reinstalling or repairing Windows XP Pro Flamingo Aug-08-02 07:29 PM In response to message 7
Thanks for your help and suggestions and I'm sure I'll find a way to repair any OS files without having to reformat the hard drive. Google rules!!!