Site Search

Site Info

Home » Forums » Forum Archives » Motherboards, Chipsets, Processors, & Memory » Topic # 410

General Motherboard and Battery Question
BatGrrrL Jun-25-01 00:51 AM
Hi Guys!

Over ther weekend my brother replaced the battery on my motherboard (I think its an "Abit") - but he snapped off the lil metal part that holds the battery in place.

Is there any way of fixing this?

I have no problem updating the BOIS settings each time I boot (if that is all the battery remembers) - but after checking memory, and displaying box stats the screen just fills with 01 01 01 01 in white.

Can anyone tell me what I should do from here. Can I solder the clip back on?

Thanks - greatly

(Sorry I sound a bit lame, I'm a developer.. hardware is not my forte.)

2. RE: General Motherboard and Battery Question
lbyard Jun-25-01 03:28 PM
In response to message 0
I think I would cut the plug off an external 4.5 volt CMOS battery (e.g., http://www.rayovac.com/busoem/oem/specs/comp_clock.shtml) and try to solder it to the plus and minus traces on the motherboard. Do not overheat the battery. They can explode (that shouldnít be a problem if you are carefulóI would clamp the leads with forceps, etc. to conduct heat away from the battery. And be extremely careful not to overheat the motherboard. Too much heat can damage the traces; lift them off the motherboard. I would use a low wattage iron, such as an Ugar Princess (http://www.coopertools.com/brands/weller/stick_iron.htm --guess Weller bought Ungar). Also, a battery holder (http://stores.yahoo.com/repc/cmosbathol.html ) with four 1 1/2 AA volt cells should work OK. Thatís what we used to replace CMOS batteries quite a few years ago. It would permit battery replacement without soldering again. The AA cells should last for a year or two. The voltage differences in these solutions and as compared to the 3.6 Volt coin battery is not usually a problem (I havenít seen any problems using these substitutions in the 14 years Iíve been running my computer shop). There is a circuit to protect the CMOS (http://duxcw.com/faq/cmos/cmos.htm). I donít think I would go higher than 6 volts, however. Larry

| Home | Guides | How to | Reviews | Online Store | FAQ | Forums | Forum Archives |
| Links | News | Newsletter | About Dux | Advertising | Contact Info | Privacy |