Site Search

Site Info

Home » Forums » Forum Archives » Networking and Internet Sharing » Topic # 730

Cross-over cable for sharing Cable modem.
arun Mar-08-01 08:15 AM
I want to connect my two computers, so that I can share my cable modem internet connection. I have CAT 5 cross-over cable, RJ45 plugs, and two NICs. Is it possible to avoid a HUB by using the cross-over cable? Shall I use Sygate 4.0 as the connecting software? Are there any other precautions to take?

2. RE: Cross-over cable for sharing Cable modem.
cary_fan Mar-13-01 04:40 AM
In response to message 0
I've had similar setups, and the problem with sharing the cable modem this way is that the computer connected to the cable modem directly must always be on in order for the other computer to access the internet.

This can be a real pain, but if you're living to live with it, it can be done as Larry suggested.

Personally I switched to a router/hub combo because I couldn't stand having to turn the other computer on and wait for it to boot up.

Here in Canada, the appropriate router with a built-in switching hub is less than $200 cdn., so if you're in the states, it should be significantly cheaper.

If you're ever doing work involving both computers - for example transferring large files between the two of them - I will disagree with Larry in saying that a 100BT hub can be faster than a crossover cable. Using crossover, your max thoroughput is 10BT (or 20BT effective full-duplex), while using a 100BT hub, even a half-duplex one, will give you 100BT connections (assuming both cards are 10/100BT cards).


4. RE: Cross-over cable for sharing Cable modem.
cary_fan Mar-13-01 02:39 PM
In response to message
A router is a device that is capable of routing network traffic to the computer it is intended for. The router is the only device with the internet connection, and all other internet devices are then connected to the router. There are a lot of websites out there with information about what they do, but if you can envision a tree, with your computer as a branch, then the router would be in the trunk of the tree.

Home routers are now becoming very popular, and as I said you can probably find them quite cheap in the US (I'm assuming that's where you live). Major manufacturers include Linksys, 3Com, Netgear, DLink, SMC.

Unless you already have a hub, you should buy a router with a built-in switching hub. These are great, and usually come with 4 or 5 ports on them to connect to computers. Some routers (such as a particular 3com model) have a printer port on the router so that you have a print server (instead of having to turn on the computer attached to the printer). Others have support for Serial (modems) devices as well as cable and DSL connections. If you're using a modem to dialup, you'll probably be considering one of these. When you switch to DSL or cable, you can keep using the same router.

These routers have interfaces that are controlled from your browser, so they're quite easy to set up. Go with one of the manufacturers I listed above since they have good products with a decent following.


5. RE: Cross-over cable for sharing Cable modem.
lbyard Mar-13-01 04:06 PM
In response to message 4
LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-01 AT 04:07 PM (GMT)

I understand from post made in this forum last Saturday that the SMC Barricade broadband router/Ethernet switch can be had for $85 in the U.S. The Barricade includes a four-port switch and printer server. My review of the product is at http://duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/Network/smc/smc7004br/smc7004br.htm. I certianly agree that a router is the best way to share an Internet connection. Larry

| Home | Guides | How to | Reviews | Online Store | FAQ | Forums | Forum Archives |
| Links | News | Newsletter | About Dux | Advertising | Contact Info | Privacy |