| » » » » Q: Networking WinNT4.0 with Windows98SE|
kijsoh Feb-02-01 09:29 PM
I have the problem to connect the notebook which is running on WinNT4.0 to desktop PC runnning on Windows98SE through 3Com's hub. I installed IPX, NetBieu and TCP/IP but I didn't set TCP/IP at all.
Could anybody let me know how to set the network environment of PC's to share the files and the printer?
1. RE: Q: Networking WinNT4.0 with Windows98SE
ProtoStar Feb-03-01 09:41 AM
In response to message 0
You could just run a crossover cable between the two computers, but if you already have it set up with the hub then just install the protocols you need. The more protocols that you use the slower your network can be. I would remove IPX and if you are not attached to the internet you could remove TCP/IP. On both computers install file and print sharing for microsoft networks, and client for microsoft networks under your control panel, networks icon. Don't forget to reboot.
2. RE: Q: Networking WinNT4.0 with Windows98SE
lbyard Feb-04-01 08:08 PM
In response to message 1
Configuration info for Win 9X is in http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/net2pc/intro.htm and http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/win98se/intro.htm. NT is somewhat similar and easier to understand once you have done Win 9x. The following requirements must be met to browse Network Neighborhood/My Network Places (shard files and printers):
1. You must login to Windows or the Microsoft Client for Windows.
2. A unique computer name must be specified in Network configuration
3. The workgroup name must be specified in Network configuration and should be the same as the other workstations.
4. File and Print Sharing must be installed to see yourself in Network Neighborhood
If File and Print Sharing is not listed in Network Configuration on other peers/workstations then you will not be able to view that machine in Network Neighborhood.
5. If the above requirements have been met, disable or enable Browse Masters. A computer that is infrequently used should not be a Browse Master. There must be at least one Browse Master.
Come back if you get stuck, OK? Larry
Guides | How to |
Online Store |
Forums | Forum
| Links |
News | Newsletter |
About Dux |
Advertising | Contact Info |