Site Search

Site Info

Home » Forums » Forum Archives » Networking and Internet Sharing » Topic # 479

Using crossover cables with Hubs/Switches
Darth Lunatic Dec-16-00 02:11 PM
Can i use my existing crossover cables with a hub or switch?

Because i dont wanna fork over more money for straight-thru cables.

1. RE: Using crossover cables with Hubs/Switches
lbyard Dec-16-00 07:51 PM
In response to message 0
You might be able to use one of them. Most hubs and switches have a port, called an uplink port that can be used with a crossover cable. The uplink port on some of them can be configured with a switch to use either kind of cable. Others share the uplink port with a regular port and only one of the two ports can have a cable attached to them. A “regular port” performs the crossover function inside of the hub/switch and can be used to connect a PC with a straight-thru cable. An uplink port does not cross the receive and transmit pairs. See http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm. Larry

| Home | Guides | How to | Reviews | Online Store | FAQ | Forums | Forum Archives |
| Links | News | Newsletter | About Dux | Advertising | Contact Info | Privacy |