I updated the firmware.
Apparently there have been 4 newer versions than the one the software came with.
All the messenger problems are solved. I can even transfer files now.
I was running version 1.40.2
Version update text:
1.42.7 Apr 2,02 1. Removed ICMP(ping) to check for DHCP server and Keep Alive.
1.42.6 Mar 11,02 1. Support MSN Messager 4.5:
A. Make a phone call,
B. The lengths of router's WAN and Lan IPs are different
2. Fixed tracert under NAT mode problem
3. Fixed UPnP getExternIPAddress action problem
4. Fixed the problem where the DHCP Discovery request is sent when
the lease time expires.
5. Fixed DHCP not senting a request when lease time expires.
1.42.3 Jan 25,02 1. Router can support PCs with small MTU settings
to configure the router.
2. Supports Applying settings without rebooting (Password, DHCP,
MAC Filter, Forwarding, DMZ, MAC Addr.Clone)
3. Added DNS and WINS setting in DHCP User Interface
4. Support for UPnP forwarding loopback
5. Support for multi-IPSec pass-through
6. Fixed Nortel VPN pass-thru
7. Forced MTU enabled and size = 1492,when PPPoE is enabled
8. Added DHCP Lease time for LAN connections
1.41 Dec 19,01 1. Added UPnP Support
2. Added PPTP client for European users.
3. Updated Web upgrade utility
4. New WAN connection setting Interface in the SETUP page.
5. Supports MSN messanger 4.5 (voice and file transfer
without DMZ setting)
1.40.2 Oct 24,01 1. Fixed DHCP server probem that assign one IP address to 2 PCs
2. Fixed traceroute problem under router mode(traceroute can not
find out the Linksys router)
3. Fixed ip filter problem when start ip is bigger then end ip
4. Fixed Log radio disappear when click Cancel button on Log UI page
5. Fixed some time user can see the UI page without password problem
6. Fixed PCC prompts "This version needds the special router" when installation
7. Change the aging time of AOL application (#5190) connection to 90 minutes.
8. Modify UI pages to fix the banner problem in Netscape 4.7, 6.0