i have 9 computers with win ME & 1 with XP. protocols are: tcp/ip with static ip (for internet) & ipx/spx (for old games). i put on "disable" the "browse master" on 5 ME computers . with just the ME computers in LAN everything is fine but when XP box is connected i cannot browse the network. i tried to disable "browse master" from XP but i don't know how; the "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is on but i cannot modify the properties.
1. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN lbyard Feb-09-02 05:40 PM In response to message 0
How are you connecting to the Internet/sharing the connection? Larry
2. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN dream_v Feb-09-02 10:09 PM In response to message 1
my gateway to the internet in an LINUX server. but i don't have acces on it. tcp/ip settings on every win ME & XP computer: "IP Adress"(ex: IP Adress: 192.168.121.101, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0), "Gateway" (Installed gateways: 192.168.121.1 - the LINUX server) & "DNS Configuration". IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol is added. but NOT the internet connection is the problem! the problem is i cannot browse the LAN when the XP computer is turned on!
3. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN lbyard Feb-11-02 05:03 PM In response to message 2
I found I had similar problems with XP and ME if any protocols besides TCP/IP are installed. Also, the XP machine may have a conflicting DHCP server running. That can happen if Internet connection sharing is enabled on the XP computer, which shouldn’t be enabled with your setup. Larry
4. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN tekwiz Feb-13-02 04:08 AM In response to message 0
From working with a Windows network, I tried using Windows Me on the network, but it plain just doesn't work. Windows Me was not created well for networking (file sharing and internet sharing alike) no matter what Microsoft says. They try to defend their product, not put up the facts. I would spend the money to upgrade them all to Windows XP or put the 9 Win Me comps. back to 98 SE. There are some sites that sell just licenses, but i can't remember them. Search on Yahoo for "Windows Licensing." Hope I didn't give you too much bad news.
5. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN dream_v Feb-13-02 12:30 PM In response to message 4
tank you all for your ideas. right now i cannot spend another money on licenses, i must make THIS network work well. right now i try lbyard's solution. it works (i hope not just now) and i tank him hor the solution.
6. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN lbyard Feb-13-02 04:29 PM In response to message 4
>From working with a Windows network, I tried using Windows Me on the network, but it plain just doesn't work.
It works just fine on my network. Larry
7. RE: win ME vs XP in peer to peer LAN dream_v Feb-15-02 00:29 AM In response to message 6