Just got an SMC7004ABR and hooked it up to my network. The network side is fine but the internet is not. I am using an external 56K modem, as DSL/Cable is not yet available here. The modem dials up and connects then immediately disconnects and dials again. It never stays connected for more that 1 or 2 seconds. I have tried every combo of auto redial and maximum idle time and it makes no difference. I also upgraded to the most recent firmware with no results. Tech support is useless because all you get is a message that the hold time is over 60 minutes so please call back. I can't get through to them. Please help if you can otherwise this is going back to the store for good.
1. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP lbyard Apr-22-02 11:32 AM In response to message 0
Does the external MODEM work when connected directly to a PC serial port? Larry
2. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP Mayakovski Apr-22-02 01:34 PM In response to message 1
It works great when connected to a computer, no problems at all. The dial in account works fine as well.
3. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP lbyard Apr-22-02 03:19 PM In response to message 2
4. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP Mayakovski Apr-23-02 10:42 AM In response to message 3
Nope not using AOL;
Just a regular dial up ISP, I have had not problems with the ISP until this router and modem.
Damm hard to solve problems when the companies tech support does not answer the phone.
5. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP lbyard Apr-23-02 11:20 AM In response to message 4
I have had good luck with SMCís tech support in the past. I just dialed 1-800-SMC-4YOU at 12:10 PM EDT and the expected wait time was 30 minutes. I find that unacceptable. I will try/test a few more times. If it does not improve, Iíll stop saying good things about the responsiveness of SMC's tech support. I would suggest sending them an E-Mail complaining about this and describing your problem, and if that does not produce reasonable and responsive results, taking your unsupported product back from whence it came. Larry
6. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP Mayakovski Apr-23-02 01:10 PM In response to message 5
I will try tech support again;
other wise back it goes.
Any thoughts on who else makes a similar product? I need the serial port for an external modem or one that has it's own modem.
Thanks for your help Larry.
7. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP lbyard Apr-23-02 02:09 PM In response to message 6
Believe DLink makes one with a serial port. I have not tried it. Tried SMC again at 3:05 PM EDT. Expected wait time was "between 20 and 30 minutes." Larry
9. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP lbyard Apr-24-02 12:39 PM In response to message 7
13:36 "Your expected wait time is over 30 minutes." Obviously, a bad time of day to try. Larry
10. RE: SMC7004ABR and dial in modem problem. HELP Mayakovski May-02-02 08:54 AM In response to message 0
Finally got it solved.
Even though I have a static IP address, the Barricade does not want it assigned in the setup screen. I have to leave it as if I don't have a static IP and let the ISP assign it to me. Wierd, but now it works and seems to work well.